I’ve been a busy little monkey lately, reorganizing my work, my home, my life… Big things are shifting! I’ve got new clients (who are WONDERFUL), new energy, new undertakings, and new partners helping me keep track of it all.
For the new and confused: I build websites. Right now I’m focused on smart, creative clients who do good things for their communities, and who like to be really involved in their own web presence. Magically, they’ve been finding me.
What I need right now is an enlarged posse of Kick Ass Collaborators. Maybe that’s you. Maybe I already know you’re amazing and we haven’t merged brains in awhile, so it’s time for you to tug on my sleeve. Maybe you just ran across this post through the ethersphere and you need to introduce yourself. Maybe it’s somewhere in between.
To be totally clear: I don’t have a specific project that I’m hiring for. There is no work for you in my pocket. Not today. Opportunities are flying around in the air, though, and it helps to know who’s ready to jump on them.
I love working with people who…
- Can clearly tell me what they kick ass at, and be honest about where they’re less experienced.
- Prefer the freelance world to the employment world. (There’s a big culture difference between the two.)
- Have other clients, creative projects, and exciting stuff in their lives. (Just be sure there’s some space in there for more.)
I should also add, if you don’t already know, that I’m extremely LGBT-, gender-variant-, and “quirky weirdo”-friendly.
Right now I’m MOST interested in Designers.
The one I’ve worked with for years has moved on to other passions, and I need some new talent in the house. I’m interested in designers who can…
- Ask a confused client all the right questions to develop the look and feel of a new brand from scratch (logos, colors, fonts, etc).
- Take an existing brand and a bunch of user experience requirements, and design a website layout in Photoshop that makes everyone happy.
- Take an existing website design and make it better according to some requirements.
- Create interesting illustrations for content.
- Look at some examples of a style, and then design something new using that style.
- Design something new using your own unique style.
- Slice up mockups and export images for coding, being careful about file sizes and color quality.
- Work within an existing webpage using your bonus HTML/CSS skills to change and restyle content. (Note: WYSIWYG skills don’t count here.)
It’s okay if you don’t do all of those. In fact, it’s fine if you can only do one of them, as long as you do it really well.
If you’re still nodding “yes that’s me,” please send me an email (info at sarahdopp dot com) with the following:
- What, from the list above, can you do really well?
- Please show me some examples of your work that give me a sense of your style and skills.
- Please tell me what hourly rates (or package prices) you charge for your work. (Unfortunate truth: I don’t have a lot of energy for negotiation, so if you don’t give me this piece up front, there’s a good chance you’ll fall off my radar. I can tell you that if it’s over $100/hr it’s too high for me, and if it’s under $20/hr it’s too low. Yeah, I know, that doesn’t quite narrow it down.)
- Please give me an idea of how experienced you are, both with professional design and professional freelancing/consulting. Be totally honest. I can work with all kinds of experience levels, but only if I’m clear on what I’m working with.
- Tell me about how much space you think you’ll have for new projects between now and, say, March.
- If you’re not absolutely sure that I already know you, please tell me how you found me or where we’ve met. Links to where I can find you on the internet are also really helpful.
- What are you really excited about these days? (Tell me anything.)
Please take your time and get it all into one email. If you send me follow-up “oops, I forgot this…” emails, I promise I’ll lose at least one of them.
And while I’ve got your attention, there’s space in my world for other kinds of posse rockers, too. I’d love me a broader network of…
- Drupal experts
- WordPress experts
- XHTML/CSS coders
- Smart, clever copywriters
- Quality Assurance detail-checkers
- [insert backend programming language here] developers
- … you tell me.
Just adjust the requests above for what you do, and send me an email. Remember there are lots of people who can claim the same job title, so find a way to be more awesome than them.
Thanks, and I look forward to working with you!
email: info at sarahdopp dot com